Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Refund Checks

I remember getting some refund checks a few dollars, and rebate checks of $5 or $10. But this story is pretty funny:

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/smartspending/archive/2008 /01/23/how-far-would-you-go-to-cash-a-35-cent-check.aspx

Would you cash a 35-cent check? Two days ago I wouldn't have known the answer to that question. Now I do, and, I'm sorry to say, the answer for me is yes. Yesterday I spent 30 minutes traveling to my bank and back to cash a 35-cent check.

...

Racking my brain to remember where the next closest Citibank branch was, I reversed course and headed back the other way for five blocks. Entering the Citibank branch, I marched up to the teller and triumphantly tendered my 35-cent check.

"I'd like to cash this check, please. I'd prefer quarters and dimes." The teller looked at the check and without missing a beat said, "Are you sure you're comfortable walking around with this much money?" Nice.

No comments: