Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Foggy Super Bowl

Well the Super Bowl itself wasn't foggy, being indoors and all, but my drive home sure was foggy! I love fog. Absolutely love it. I know, it causes massive pile-ups, kills countless people (including my friend Steve's wife) but it's awesome. It's eerie. It's cool. I think the number reason why I love fog is because it reminds me of Vallejo.

Growing up, I remember the fog being so think some mornings that I couldn't see my street past this one bend in the road. I grew up in a house on the west side of a hill overlooking the San Pablo/Napa sloughs, but with so much fog, you couldn't even see my elementary school just down the hill. My high school was located right next to an inlet right off the Carquinez Strait, and as a result fog would blow off the water, and was so think you could barely see 50 feet.

I remember baseball games at Candlestick, the fog blowing in over our heads in section 6 upper box. One night, the fog was so bad I don't think we could see the other side of the stadium.

I remember my junior year prom was at His Lordships on the Berkeley marina, another night that you could watch the fog roll in through the majestic Golden Gate.

Fog makes me think of a song by a nice 80s rock band...
When the lights go down in the City
And the sun shines on the bay
I want to be there in my City
Ooh, ooh

So you think you're lonely
Well my friend I'm lonley too
I want to go back to my City by the bay
Ooh, ooh

When the lights go down in the City
And the sun shines on the bay
I want to be there in my City
Ooh, ooh


It's sad, oh there's been mornings
Out on the road without you
Without your charms,
Ooh, my, my, my

When the lights go down in the City
And the sun shines on the bay
I want to be there in my City
Ooh, ooh


-- "Lights" by Journey

I can't help but think this would be a wonderful song to dance to with someone special someday. Journey had some great rock ballads, but this one.. mmm mmm mmm. The song doesn't mention fog, or even San Francisco, but I'm sure that's what they meant. And if not... oh well don't ruin my dream!! :o)

Some quick things, I had a great weekend. I did laundry all day Saturday, I now have clean clothes. However, I put them all away. That's gotta be a first or something for me. I had several sports games on all day, KSU@MU, KU@CU, and the Chicago Blackhawks at the San Jose Sharks. All games worked out well for the teams I rooted for.

Today I went out to lunch with some friends from church at Texas Roadhouse. I saw a gentleman walk past our table from the bathrooms who looked familiar, but I couldn't quite place it. Then I realized it was a local lead TV meterologist! I didn't want to ruin his lunch by saying hi, but I thought it was cool. Evidently he has been spotted there more than once. I went to a Super Bowl party with some of the same friends, I took a few pictures, I may post them here, we'll see. Too late tonight!

No comments: