Monday, February 18, 2008

"Bang, zoom, straight to the moon!"

Well, maybe not straight to the moon. I don't think there will be any bangs or zooms either. But Wed, Feb 20rd 2008 will be a total lunar eclipse for central/eastern North America, South America, western Europe and Africa, and also a partial lunar eclipse for China, Japan, eastern Russia, southeast Asia, Australia, and Antarctica (map coverage, thanks to NASA). The partial eclipse starts at 7:43pm CST, the total eclipse beginning at 9:01pm CST and ends at 9:51pm CST, with the entire event ending at 11:09pm CST.

I'm thinking I will brave the brutal cold, stake out some spot out in the country, and snap some pictures of it. The National Weather Service is forecasting a low temp of 14 F that night, so I'll have to bundle up!! I will need to also pick up a tripod. I don't have one as yet, but it's been something I've been meaning to buy to compliment my shiny Nikon D40x DSLR. (ooooh shiny) This looks to be the best lunar eclipse until Dec 21 2010 (which may or may not be colder out than Wed night).

Shameless plug for my photos.

If you'd like more information check out these links:
NASA's page on the eclipse
How to photograph an eclipse
NASA's Lunar Eclipse Explorer
Google's Moon Map

No comments: