Saturday, February 16, 2008

V-Day

I know, I'm a few days behind on this topic. I've had a busy couple of days and didn't get my thoughts out on paper... or keyboard.

I friend of mine sent me a link to an article titled "My first V-Day after divorce." I thought it was rather good. I totally forgot about the "holiday." I scheduled a time to drop off papers with my tax preparer, almost scheduled a meeting with a client, and it didn't hit me until later of the significance. I heard someone make a comment when I was out and about, talking about V-Day and that to some it was just another frozen-pizza night. I ended up treating myself to a brisket BBQ sandwich, but I know the feeling.

Anyway, the article's writer talked about being separated through the holidays. I feel her pain. "Winter Wonderland" takes on a whole new meaning when you hear: "He'll say, 'Are you married?' We'll say, 'No man!'" It's no longer just a bunch of words you sing to your neighbors over hot cocoa. :o)

I read another article on MSN about one guy's divorce survival. The article mentioned two concepts that I'm taking to heart. I am not The Divorced Guy, I am the guy who used to be married. When I think of it that way, some of the negative connotations of the "D" word lose their sting. I don't walk around with a big fat mark on my forehead. The second thought, one I've known for a while, but it bears repeating: I can do whatever I want. If I want to get up and take a trip on the spur of the moment, I can. If I want frozen pizzas every night, I can. If I want to stay up until midnight watching hockey, I can. If I want to blast Guitar Hero III and rock out, I can. If I want to make my bed once a week, I can. What married guy (or even someone seriously dating) has that freedom?

No comments: